So you have (or plan to remodel or build) a modern house that is open, beautiful and functional. What do you do with your landscape design? Our recommendation is to match the beauty, modern feel and functionality of the design of your home with the uncluttered appearance and clean lines of modern landscape design. Think minimalistic beauty on the inside and out! Here are the aspects of modern landscape design that you may want to consider:
Modern landscapes have
Modern landscapes generally do not have
Some popular plants for a modern landscape design include
A small manicured lawn is often part of a modern design aesthetic. Keeping your small lawn properly cared for will help you maintain those clean lines you’re looking for. Proper fertilization, watering, and mowing will help you maintain a healthy turf. Another, maintenance- free option is artificial turf.
One material you’ll find frequently featured in modern landscaping is rock and concrete juxtaposed with ornamental grasses. Another option is to use concrete judiciously; leave spaces between concrete slabs and consider porous materials such as concrete paving stones.
Rock mulch can be used when placed around the foundation of your home, although it doesn’t really have a place in your planting beds. When used around the foundation of your home, rock mulch can lessen the impact of rainfall from your roof overhang and protect the soil from erosion without floating away or attracting pests.
At Dantor Martinez Construction, we specialize in modern new construction and remodeling projects and this includes completing your project with beautiful, modern landscape design. For more information, please contact us today at (760) 340-3503 or request a free consultation here.
When it comes to remodeling a home, the money that is spent cannot always be recouped, but most people want the investment they make in the remodeling project to pay off when it's time to sell. The smart choice for homeowners is to improve their home with features that meet the needs of their family, are current with today's living standard, and that increase their property value at the same time. Here are our recommendations for which remodeling improvements will bring the best bang for the buck:
1. A Kitchen Remodel
A kitchen remodel can really add value to your home. It's the heart of the home, so an open, airy, and updated kitchen will not only bring enjoyment to a family, but is also one of the first things that buyers look for. Improvements could include: Removing walls to create an "open concept", updating cabinetry and appliances, the addition of light, such as a window over the sink, and lighting and flooring replacement.
2. Updating or Adding Bathrooms
Bathrooms are an important part of a home families looking for a home. If there are not enough bathrooms or if they are very outdated, it will be a big turn off to potential buyers. Updating bathrooms can also really increase a home’s sale appeal. Improvements could include: Layout changes to maximize space, updating cabinetry and fixtures, and lighting and flooring replacement.
3. Increasing Light and Space
Dark, cramped rooms are no good when it comes to real estate. One thing that homeowners can do to increase the appeal of their property is open up the house to create more of a flow, improved sight lines and enhanced natural light. An open floor plan will make a home feel much larger and better for entertaining. Possible improvements could include: Removal of some walls to open and brighten the space, the addition of windows, vaulting the ceilings, the addition of skylights, repainting in light, airy colors, and lighting and flooring replacement.
4. Addition of Landscape and Curb Appeal
The curb appeal of a home is incredibly important when it comes time to sell. The first impression of a home that someone will have is from the look of the exterior. It's said that a good first impression of a home can add five percent to its value. Possible improvements could include: Exterior painting, renovation of the driveway and other hardscape, and the addition of improved landscape.
At Dantor Martinez Construction, we specialize in home remodeling projects! If you are planning a house remodel now or in the future, request a free consultation here or contact us at (760) 340-3503. We can help you re-create your dream home and also improve it's property value!
1. Delineated spaces. Like a modern home, a modern landscape is all about the creation of space, or volume. This includes the spaces around and connecting to the home, and the use trees, shrubs and structures to delineate them. Perhaps more than any other aspect of modernism, the emphasis on spatial volume has changed the nature of landscape design.
2. Outdoor Living spaces. Instead of being it’s own separate area, the landscape in modern landscape design is a logical extension of the house and should be designed with a homeowner’s needs in mind. This is why outdoor rooms and outdoor living is a predominant feature in modernist design.
3. Plants as sculptural forms. In modern landscape design, plants are elements used to define space and their sculptural forms are highlighted. This low-maintenance approach that emphasizes form and texture over floral display has become popular and continues to develop today.
4. Turf reduction. In modern landscape design, lawns are traded-in (or reduced) in favor of decomposed granite and rock gardens. This element adds both color and texture to the landscape without the cost of irrigation or maintenance.
4. An atrium. Sometimes the outdoor area is actually within the home. An atrium can provide fresh air and a spot to showcase sculptural plantings and furniture.
At Dantor Martinez Construction, we specialize in all aspects of modern home construction projects, including modern landscape design. If you are planning a modern construction project now or in the future, please contact us today at (760) 340-3503. We can help you bring modernism to your landscape!