1. Delineated spaces. Like a modern home, a modern landscape is all about the creation of space, or volume. This includes the spaces around and connecting to the home, and the use trees, shrubs and structures to delineate them. Perhaps more than any other aspect of modernism, the emphasis on spatial volume has changed the nature of landscape design.
2. Outdoor Living spaces. Instead of being it’s own separate area, the landscape in modern landscape design is a logical extension of the house and should be designed with a homeowner’s needs in mind. This is why outdoor rooms and outdoor living is a predominant feature in modernist design.
3. Plants as sculptural forms. In modern landscape design, plants are elements used to define space and their sculptural forms are highlighted. This low-maintenance approach that emphasizes form and texture over floral display has become popular and continues to develop today.
4. Turf reduction. In modern landscape design, lawns are traded-in (or reduced) in favor of decomposed granite and rock gardens. This element adds both color and texture to the landscape without the cost of irrigation or maintenance.
4. An atrium. Sometimes the outdoor area is actually within the home. An atrium can provide fresh air and a spot to showcase sculptural plantings and furniture.
At Dantor Martinez Construction, we specialize in all aspects of modern home construction projects, including modern landscape design. If you are planning a modern construction project now or in the future, please contact us today at (760) 340-3503. We can help you bring modernism to your landscape!